Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 SP2 delivers important customer-requested management, stability, and performance improvements.
Some of the features and improvements include the following:New Windows Server & Client Version Support
- Integration with Windows Server 2008 R2
- Support for the BranchCache feature on Windows Server 2008 R2
- Support for Windows 7 clientsWSUS Feature Improvements
- Auto-Approval Rules: Auto-approval rules now include the ability to specify the approval deadline date and time for all computers or specific computer groups.
- Update Files and Languages: Improved handling of language selection for downstream servers includes a new warning dialog that appears when you decide to download updates only for specified languages.
- Easy Upgrade: WSUS 3.0 SP2 can be installed as an in-place upgrade from earlier versions of WSUS and preserves all settings and approvals. The user interface is compatible between WSUS 3.0 SP1 and SP2 on the client and the server.
- Reports: New Update and Computer Status reports let you filter on updates that are approved for installation. You can run these reports from the WSUS console or use the API to incorporate this functionality into your own reports.Software Updates
- Stability and reliability fixes are included for the WSUS server, such as support for IPV6 addresses that are longer than 40 characters.
- The approval dialog now sorts computer groups alphabetically by group name.
- Computer status report sorting icons are now functional in x64 environments.
- A new release of Windows Update Agent is included with WSUS 3.0 SP2 that provides improvements and fixes, such as support for APIs called by nonlocal system callers in a noninteractive session.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:Deployment Guide describes how to deploy Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 (WSUS 3.0 SP2). You will find a comprehensive description of how WSUS functions, as well as descriptions of WSUS scalability and bandwidth management features. This guide also offers procedures for installation and configuration of the WSUS server and how to configure client workstations and servers that will be updated by WSUS. Also included are steps for setting up a WSUS server on an isolated segment of your network and manually importing updates.Features and Fixes highlights the feature improvements and important software updates provided in the Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 (WSUS 3.0 SP2) release.Knowledge Base Article KB972455 – Description of Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 2Operations Guide describes how to manage Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 (WSUS 3.0 SP2). You will find best practices and instructions for managing updates, maintaining client computers and groups, and running reports. This guide also offers server and client troubleshooting information.Release Notes describe the Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 (WSUS 3.0 SP2) release. This document contains the following sections: What’s New in This Release System Requirements for the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Server Installation Configuration Prerequisites and Best Practice Recommendations for the WSUS Server Windows Small Business Server Prerequisites System Requirements for the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Remote Console Installation System Requirements for Client Installation Upgrade Requirements and Recommendations Installing WSUS 3.0 SP2 Setup Command-line Parameters for Unattended WSUS 3.0 SP2 Installations Known IssuesStep By Step Guide provides detailed instructions for installing Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 (WSUS 3.0 SP2) using either Windows Server Manager or the WUSSetup.exe file. This guide also contains basic setup instructions for WSUS 3.0 SP2 using either Windows Server Manager or the WSUS Server Configuration Wizard.