I’ve been a big fan of Microsoft’s "Fix it for me" Knowledge Base Articles since their release on November 20 2008. I was excited because providing "automatic" solutions to many problems seemed so obvious to me.
Someday, most Microsoft problems will be resolvied automatically — until then here’s the Road to Know Where’s list of Microsoft’s KB Articles from the Microsoft’s Fix-it Team:
Allow Admin Share Access in a Workgroup for Windows
- Allow Legacy Srv Call – Client connections return a "STATUS_INVALID_PARAM" error code when you use a "Send NTLMv2 response only" authentication level in Windows Server 2008 or in Windows VistaChange i8042prt Startup Type for Windows – PS/2 mouse is not connected to a Windows Server 2008-based computer or a Windows Server 2003-based computer when the computer startsClear Multiple-Monitor Configuration – How do I clear the multiple monitor configuration of a computer that is running Windows Vista?Clear Notification Area – How do I clear past items from the Customize Notifications dialog box in Windows XP?
- Corrupted E-mail Message May Cause High CPU Usage When Filtering
- E-mail Body Text May Be Truncated If It Contains Non-ASCII Characters
- Fix For From Field That Does Not Display Correct In Outlook Express
- Fix For Message Body That Contains Header Information
- Fix For Multi-part E-mail Message That Displays Bcc Recipients
- Fix For Notifications That Stop After Simple MAPI Stops Responding
- Images Appear As A Red XDecrease Folder Redirection Update Interval For Windows – Folder redirection does not work correctly after I restart a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows VistaDelete Fax Queue and Restart Fax Service – Fxssvc.exe causes an error message: "Fxssvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."Delete Input Personalization Registry Key – Why is the Search feature of the "Handwriting recognition personalization" tool unavailable, and why has the accuracy of the tool decreased?Delete Pending Print Jobs – How to cancel printing or to delete a print job that is stuck in the print queue in Windows XPDisable Automatic Updates for Media Player – How can I disable /enable automatic updates in Windows Media Player?Disable Call Forwarding Settings in Office Communicator – You cannot prevent Office Communicator 2007 from controlling the call forwarding settingsDisable EFS on WebDAV – After you upload encrypted files from a Windows XP-based computer to a WebDAV share, the files remain encryptedDisable Fast Resume – You have problems after you resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernationDisable Internet Explorer Script Debugging – You receive "Runtime Error" messages when you view Web pages in Internet ExplorerDisable IPv6 – The installation of the Exchange Server 2007 Hub Transport role is unsuccessful on a Windows Server 2008-based computerDisable Notification Balloon Tips in Windows – How do I disable balloon tips in the notification area in Windows XP?Disable Photo Gallery Precaching – System performance is slow when I view a multipage TIFF file by using Windows Photo Gallery in Windows VistaDisable RSS and TCP Offload – An update to turn off default SNP features is available for Windows Server 2003-based and Small Business Server 2003-based computersDisable Selective Suspend – Why doesn’t my computer detect my new USB device when I’m running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003?Disable Simple File Sharing – How to disable simple file sharing and how to set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XPDisable TCP Auto-Tuning –
- Disable TCP Receive-Side Scaling – TCP traffic stops after you enable both receive-side scaling and Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Vista or in Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2Disable USB Storage Devices – How can I prevent users from connecting to a USB storage device?Enable 10 Internet Explorer Download Sessions – How do I configure Internet Explorer to download more than two files at a time?Enable ACPI interrupt storm hotfix – A Windows Server 2003-based computer or a Windows XP-based computer crashes when an interrupt storm is generated by the Acpi.sys driverEnable Automatic Cross-Certificate Retrieval Using SIA – Certain applications become very slow on a Windows Server 2008-based or Windows Vista SP1-based computer when a certificate with the SIA extension is installedEnable Automatic Updates for Media Player – How can I enable / disable automatic updates in Windows Media Player?Enable <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> Defaults for Workgroup Computers – Windows SteadyState may not automatically restart a Windows XP-based computer in certain circumstancesEnable Flash for Windows Media Player – How can I disable changes in Windows Media Player that are introduced after I install security update 936782?Enable Hibernate and Hybrid Sleep Feature – I used the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows Vista, and now the hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature are unavailableEnable Hotfix for "The address of this site is not valid" – Error message when you click a hyperlink in an Office 2003 document: "The address of this site is not valid"Enable Media Center DVD Library – How can I enable the DVD Library in Windows Media Center on a Windows Vista-based computer?Enable Microsoft Message Queuing Ignore Site Links Hotfix – How to avoid routing queries with no routing servers in the siteEnable Numeric TLD – Error message when you try to join a Windows Vista-based client computer to a top level domain (TLD) that has a purely numeric suffix: "An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain <DNS domain name> could not be contacted"Enable RDP Connections When Encryption Level Is Set To Low – Windows XP-based terminal server does not allow RDP connections whose encryption level is set to LowEnable SNMPLegacy For Printers – The print queue status is displayed as "Offline" on a Windows Server 2003-based print server if SNMP is enabled and if the printer devices do not respond to SNMP commandsEnable Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection – Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 now include support for Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection (SEHOP)Enable USB Keyboard LED Lights – Some LED lights on a USB keyboard do not correctly show whether the keys are on or off after I resume a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernationEnable Windows Firewall – How can I turn on or turn off the firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later versions?Enable WinHlp Macros – I cannot open Help files that require the Windows Help (WinHlp32.exe) programFix Audit Mode Numlock – If Windows Vista is running in audit mode, the NUM LOCK key on a Windows Vista-based portable computer is always turned onFix Windows Update Error 0x8000FFFF – When I open Windows Update in Control Panel, I receive an error code of 8000FFFFFix Zune C00D11B1 Marketplace Error – When you try to play music that you downloaded from the Zune Marketplace, you receive an error message: “C00D11B1”Format Offline Files Database – Error message in Windows Vista when you try to rename a new subfolder in a shared folder on a network: "The <SharedFolderName> folder does not exist"Increase Folder View Settings and Customization Limits – My view settings or customizations for a folder are lost or incorrectInstall Xbox 360 extender for Win – Error message when you try to install a program for the Xbox 360 Media Center Extender in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Service Pack 3: "There is a problem with the installation of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"
Menu Toolbar Missing – The menu bar and the toolbar are missing in Windows Explorer or in Internet Explorer on Windows XP-based computersMicrosoft Streets & Trips Construction Download – Error message when you try to use Street & Trips 2008: "Construction information for routes could not be downloaded"Microsoft Windows Remote Shell Host Default – DCOM Error 10021 is logged when you run a WinRM command against a remote computer that has update 936059 appliedModify Setup Log Level – It takes a long time to log on to a Windows Vista-based computer that has antivirus software installed, and you notice that the size of the Setupapi.app.log file is very largeOpen Non-Digitally Signed Non-Encrypted E-mail as Text – How can I configure Outlook to read non-digitally-signed e-mail messages or nonencrypted e-mail messages as plain text in Office XP SP1?Prepend PartMgr for UpperFilter Registry Value –
- Register Windows Script Engine
- When I tried to change a tree, I received an error message: "VB Script Error 50000 Save Failed. Processing Failed and the response is not well-formed XML. Invalid at the Top level of the document. Use the ResponseXML Property to obtain the Response."
- Endpoint detection fails when a client computer connects to IAG
- When I run a script in Windows Script, I receive an error message: "Library not registered"
- When I try to use Windows Media Player 11, the program does not start, or some UI elements are blank
- I received an error message when I tried to install or uninstall the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XPReinstall MS DTC on Windows – Error message when you run the "sysprep /generalize" command on a Windows Vista-based computer: "A fatal error occurred while running sysprep"Remove Administrative Shares – How to remove administrative shares in Windows Server 2008Remove Cached User Credentials for PEAP Authentication in Windows XP – How do I remove cached user credentials that are used for PEAP authentication in Windows XP?Remove "Restore My Active Desktop" Button – After I install Windows Internet Explorer 7 on a computer that is running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, a "Restore My Active Desktop" button appears on the desktopRename File or Folder Does Not Exist – Why do I receive the following error message when I use Windows Explorer in Windows Vista to rename folders: "The file or folder does not exist"Reset Security Settings Back To The Defaults – How do I restore security settings to the default settings?Restart Print Spooler – Error message when you use the Add Printer Wizard: "Operation could not be completed"Restore Windows Sidebar – How do I restore the Windows Sidebar?Set Desktop Switching Time-Out Interval To 5 – The Welcome screen may be displayed for 30 seconds, and the logon script interacts with me when I try to log on to a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008Set DoNotVerifyDPPropertiesOnStartup To 1 –Distribution Manager in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 may require several hours after startup before it begins to process packagesSet Spooler To Generate Dmp File – The Print Spooler service may stop sending print jobs to a printer that uses the standard port monitor on a Windows Server 2003-based computerSet TCP Auto Tuning Level To Highly Restricted – A Web site sends data very slowly or drops the data completely on a Windows Vista Enterprise-based computerShow Internet Explorer Icon – The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktopShow System Icons In Notification – System icons do not appear in the notification area on a Windows Vista-based computer until you restart the computerSD Cmd Flags Workaround – Write protection does not always work on SD memory cards that are plugged into a computer that runs Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008Set Desktop Switching Time-Out Interval To 5 – The Welcome screen may be displayed for 30 seconds, and the logon script interacts with me when I try to log on to a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
Set DoNotAllowSP Registry Value to 0 – You are not offered the option to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 when you use Windows Update or Automatic UpdatesSet DoNotVerifyDPPropertiesOnStartup To 1 – Distribution Manager in System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Service Pack 1 may require several hours after startup before it begins to process packagesSet Spooler To Generate Dmp File – The Print Spooler service may stop sending print jobs to a printer that uses the standard port monitor on a Windows Server 2003-based computerUnblock HLP File on Intranet Site – I cannot open Help files that require the Windows Help (WinHlp32.exe) programUpdate Rollup 2 For Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Is Installed – Error message when you install Update Rollup 3 for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0: "Installation of this Update Rollup for Microsoft Dynamics CRM (KB927751) is required to continue"
Use Recursion For Effective Permissions Tab – The "Effective Permissions" tab may report incorrect permissions in Windows Server 2003W32Time Registry Not Updated After Upgrade From XP SP2 – Some W32Time-related registry settings are not updated after you upgrade Windows XP Service Pack 2 to Windows Vista or to Windows Vista Service Pack 1
Join the FixIt Team on Facebook!