Windows PowerShell is a new task-based command line shell and scripting language for system administration that provides comprehensive control and automation for Windows desktops and servers.
Windows PowerShell includes:
- More than 130 command-line tools (called "cmdlets") for performing common system administration tasks, such as managing services, processes, event logs, certificates, the registry, and using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
- Command-line tools are designed to be easy to learn and easy to use with standard naming conventions and common parameters, and simple tools for sorting, filtering, and formatting data and objects.
- Support for existing scripting languages and existing command-line tools, and multiple versions of Windows, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista™, and Windows Server code name “Longhorn".
- Features that enable users to navigate data stores, like the registry and certificate stores, as if they were a file system.
- Standard utilities for managing Windows data in different stores and formats, including Active Directory Service Interfaces (ADSI), Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), Component Object Model (COM) objects, ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), HTML, and XML.
- Sophisticated expression parsing and .NET Framework object manipulation at the command line, including pipelining of objects help IT professionals to work more efficiently and effectively.
- An extensible interface that enables independent software vendors and enterprise developers to build custom cmdlets to meet unique application and system administration requirements.Which PowerShell version should I install?
- Localized: Install the localized installation package if you are running a version of Windows that is localized for German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese Simplified, or Chinese Traditional. (Support Document: KB926140)
- English: Install the English version of Windows PowerShell if you are running an English version of Windows. Alternatively, use this version if you are running a version of Windows that is localized for a language other than German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese Simplified, or Chinese Traditional. (Support Documents: KB926139, Vista Build 5600 KB923569)
- MUI Language Pack: Install the English version of Windows PowerShell 1.0, and then install the MUI Language Pack for Windows PowerShell 1.0 if you are running an MUI version of Windows. In MUI versions of Windows, the Windows interface can be displayed in multiple languages. (Support Document: KB926141)
Webcasts:Brief Getting Started Overview of Windows PowerShell (15 min) Architect Evangelist David Aiken provides an introductory demonstration of Windows PowerShell covering help resources, basic command usage, formatting, working with objects, navigation of management information and security features.
TechNet: Next-Generation Command Line Scripting: Windows PowerShell (Level 300) Jeffrey Snover provides an overview of Windows PowerShell for TechEd 2005.