Firefox 2 Release Candidate 1 (RC 1), the preview release of the next version of the Firefox browser, is now available for download.
- A new theme that updates Firefox’s familiar interface
- Built in Phishing Protection
- Enhanced search engine management and search suggestions for Google, Yahoo! and Answers.com
- Improvements to tabbed browsing, including the ability to re-open recently closed tabs
- Firefox will resume from where you left off after a system crash or browser restart
- Better support for previewing and subscribing to Web feeds
- Inline spell checking in Web forms
- The ability to create bookmarks with “Live Titles” for Web sites that offer microsummaries
- New Add-ons manager that simplifies management of extensions and themes
- Extended search plugin format
- Updates to the extension system to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions
- Support for client-side session and persistent storage
- Support for SVG text using svg:textPath
- New Windows installer based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
SECURITY COMMENT: Use Firefox because you like the features, NOT because you think it is more secure than Internet Explorer — Firefox is not safer! Symantec’s recent security report states "Mozilla browsers had the most vulnerabilites, 47, compared to 38 in Microsoft Internet Explorer."