I rummaged through my past Microsoft support emails looking for “simple” solutions, or requests for “simpler” methods to do “things”.
I’ve selected 13 problems to share that frustrated end-users – and then were equally flustered that the simple solution eluded them.
1) Press "ÿ + L" to quickly return to your Welcome Screen/Lock Workstation.(ÿ = Windows Key)2) When using a mouse to move a file, it sometimes surprisingly copies the file, or creates a shortcut instead!Right-Mouse-Drag the file(s) to the new location, you’ll have the option to Copy, Move or Create Shortcut. [Thanks to Vic Laurie for this refinement!]3) Hold the <Shift> key while pressing the <Del> key to “permanently” remove file(s) without going to the Recycle Bin.4) To arrange two (or more) desktop windows “side-by-side”
- Open the window(s)/launch the programs
- Click on the taskbar button to make your first window active
- Hold the <Ctrl> key while Right-clicking the taskbar button of the second window/program.
- Select Tile Vertically (or horizontally).
INTERNET EXPLORER TIPS
5) To view Internet Explorer in full-screen press <F11> (repeat to return to normal mode).6) Pressing <Ctrl> + D automatically adds the current page to your Favorites.7) Organize your Internet Explorer Favorites by Right-mouse clicking on the list of links in the Favorites List, and select Sort by Name.8) Hold the <Shift> key while turning the mouse scroll wheel up/down, will surf forwards & backwards (Same as the "–>" & "<–" buttons)9) Hold the <Ctrl> key while turning the mouse scroll wheel up/down will increase & decrease the font size. (Great for the over 40 crowd!)10) Hold the <Shift> key while clicking on a link to open the Web page in a new window.NOTE: In the upcoming Internet Explorer 7 (Vista), holding the <Ctrl> key down while clicking on a link will open in a new tab window.
11) Right-mouse click on any word within Word 2003, and the Research Pane pops up selected on that word!
OUTLOOK w/EXCHANGE TIP
12) <Ctrl>+Right-mouse click on the Outlook Icon in the SystemTray – then select Connection Status to few your Exchange Server status – as well as quickly Reconnect.
BONUS ADMINISTRATOR TIP
13) To change the location of a special folder AND simultaneously move the files, Right-mouse-drag the folder to the new location and select Move Here
Special FoldersCD BurningDesktopDocument TemplatesFavoritesInstallation PathMy DocumentsMy MusicMy VideoProgramsSend ToShared DocumentsShared MusicShared PicturesShared VideoStartMenuStartUpMore Tips: 10 Excel "How to" Tips